Friday, June 1st 6:45am.. High pressure that has given the sunshine to the region over the past few days is still located south of NS and will give one more sunny warm to to the island today. Things are about to change tonight as a cold front approaches from the west. Showers and possible thundershowers will spread across western PEI first near mid evening then progress eastward across the remainder of the island ending later tomorrow afternoon. Temperatures will be much cooler beginning with the frontal passage early Saturday morning. High pressure will then build in from the west cresting over the island Monday afternoon. An ocean storm develops off Cape Hatteras early Monday morning and tracks NE passing south of NS Wednesday morning. The various models are still unclear as to how close this system will get to the Maritimes with it rain and wind fields. For now lets go with rain and wind for Wednesday until the picture becomes a little more clear. The remainder of the week looks rather cloudy and chilly.. So enjoy today as things turn cold for the weekend and next week.
Precipitation.. Rain, at times heavy spreads across the island later this evening tapering to showers tomorrow morning then ending late afternoon/early evening. The heaviest rain should fall between midnight tonight and dawn tomorrow. Rainfall amounts could be in the 15-20 mm range. Dry for Saturday evening through Tuesday evening. Potential rain from that ocean storm could move into the island Tuesday night continue all day Wednesday ending early Thursday morning. Now is this system stays out to sea or further southeast then its rain and wind effects will be greatly reduced. Chance of showers for Thursday and Friday.
Temperatures.. As mentioned earlier, Enjoy today as this will be the last warm day for awhile with temps possibly in the high 20’s. Much cooler air invades the Maritimes near dawn tomorrow with the passage of a cold front. These cool below normal temps will then continue through Thursday of next week. Long range is hinting at a return to normal for Friday.
Wind.. Light SW winds today and tonight shifting and increasing to brisk NW-N near dawn tomorrow which will then continue through Sunday diminishing to light on Monday. Light SE winds on Tuesday becoming light-brisk NE on Wednesday.
Thunderstorms.. Risk of storms tonight into early tomorrow morning.
Hazards.. Warm and muggy conditions today. Wet driving conditions in rain beginning this evening. This could be heavy at times leading to ponding of water on roads.
Watches/warnings.. None for PEI at this time..
- Today.. Sunny, light SW winds, highs 27
- Tonight.. Becoming cloudy this evening with showers developing at times heavy. Chance of thundershowers, light SW winds shifting to NW near dawn, lows 15
- Tomorrow.. Showers, SW winds shifting to brisk NW near dawn, temps near 15 to start but falling with the wind shift falling to 8 by mid morning then steady through the day.
- Sunday.. Sunny, brisk north winds, highs 8
- Monday.. Sunny, light north winds, highs 10
- Tuesday.. Sunny start becoming cloudy with possible rain late, increasing SE winds, highs 14
- Wednesday.. Possible rain !!! 8
- Thursday.. Chance of showers, NE winds, highs 10
- Friday.. Chance of showers, 20