Saturday, Aug 4th 6:20am..The Bermuda High pressure system that has been anchored in the western Atlantic continues to persist off the east coast. This has set up the southwest flow of hot humid air which has engulfed the Maritimes over the past few weeks. This Bermuda “High” has been drifting back and forth and as it does so, it allows a trough of low pressure which is oriented NE-SW through eastern Quebec to shift east and west as well. This weekend is ones of those shifts. A frontal boundary currently oriented NE-SW lies through New England up through Gaspe Bay. An area of low pressure will ripple NE along this front enhancing rainfall. The warm humid airmass may also set off some thunderstorms. This mess moves east allowing weak high pressure to build in for late Sunday into Monday with some clearing. Winds will briefly shift to the NW allowing for some cooler less humid air as well but a weak upper air disturbance will drift across the region later Monday accompanied with some showers/thundershowers. High pressure briefly returns again on Tuesday with some early sunshine but yet another low pressure system and associated cold front will move across the region on Wednesday. Unsettled weather continues through with afternoon cloud build-ups giving showers on Thursday and Friday.
Precipitation.. Showers are moving into southwestern NB now and will spread across the island this afternoon. The showers will be heavy at times as they continue into Sunday. Rainfall amounts generally n the 10-15 mm range but could be locally higher 25mm+ in heavy downpours. These downpours appear most likely west of Summerside. The showers should end Sunday afternoon then dry til Monday evening. Another band of showers Monday night into Tuesday morning. Dry for Tuesday then chance of afternoon sun showers Wednesday through Friday.
Temperatures.. Still running at or above normal through the period but cooler on those days with cloud cover and rain.
Wind.. The persistent SW flow continues but will be briefly interrupted with a shift to the NW tomorrow afternoon/evening then again on Thursday..
Thunderstorms.. Chance of storms today, tonight and tomorrow. Thunderstorms may also develop later Monday.
Hazards.. Wet driving conditions on rain-showers which will be heavy at times. Risk of localized street flooding in heavy downpours especially up west. Chance of lightning today tonight tomorrow and again on Monday. Elevated humidity values continue.
Watches/warnings.. Heat warnings continue for Queens and Kings counties.
- Today.. Cloudy with showers at times heavy, risk of thundershowers, light SW winds, highs 26
- Tonight.. Cloudy with showers at times heavy, risk of thundershowers, light SW winds, lows 19
- Tomorrow.. Cloudy with showers at times heavy ending by suppertime, risk of thundershowers. Light SW winds shifting to NW, highs 22
- Monday.. Sunny start becoming cloudy with chance of showers, risk of thundershowers, winds increasing to brisk SW, highs 30
- Tuesday.. Sun and cloud, light-brisk SW winds, highs 30
- Wednesday..Cloud and showers, light-brisk SW winds, highs 25
- Thursday.. Sun and cloud, afternoon showers, light NW winds, highs 26
- Friday.. Sunny, afternoon showers, light SW winds, highs 28