Thursday, August 16th 6:50am.. A cold front oriented NE-SW is currently crossing the island and is now located just east of Charlottetown. Cloud showers and possible thundershowers are associated with the frontal passage. Cooler air will now flood in behind the front on NW winds which will result in clouds and few showers lingering into tomorrow morning. High pressure will build in from the west cresting over the island Friday morning. Clouds will then begin to increase later Friday as low pressure approaches from the west with rain developing before dawn on Saturday. The low is expected to track across central Maine then south of NS Saturday evening. High pressure then dominates the region from Sunday through Wednesday with sunshine but need to watch a potential small area of low pressure passing offshore east of NS on Tuesday.
Precipitation.. Few showers possible this morning especially down east where the from still has yet to go through. Cloud and showers possible in the cool unstable air behind the front today and tonight with a slight chance of a thundershower. Dry for tomorrow then rain at times heavy begins before dawn on Saturday ending near midnight. Rainfall amounts with this system could be significant with 20-30mms possible. Could be a lingering shower Sunday morning with dry conditions then expected Sunday through Wednesday. Watching an ocean low passing south of NS on Tuesday.
Temperatures.. Near normal conditions expected this period except for Tuesday when temperatures will remain quite cool on north winds.
Wind.. Light-brisk north winds today into early tomorrow dropping off to calm tomorrow afternoon. Winds then become light southerly tomorrow evening shifting back to the NE Saturday afternoon. Light-brisk NE winds continue on Sunday diminishing to light northerlies on Monday. Calm Monday night becoming light southerlies on Tuesday.
Thunderstorms.. Slight chance today, tonight into early tomorrow.
Hazards.. Wet driving conditions in any rainfall. Heavier rainfall on Saturday. Slight chance of lightning today and tonight.
Watches/warnings.. None for PEI at this time.
- Today.. Cloudy with chance of showers, light-brisk north winds, highs 20
- Tonight.. Generally cloudy with slight chance of showers, light-brisk north winds, lows 16
- Tomorrow.. Morning cloud with slight chance of a shower followed by afternoon sunshine, light north winds dropping off to calm late afternoon, highs 21
- Saturday.. Rain at times heavy, brisk NE winds, highs 17
- Sunday.. Morning clouds then clearing, diminishing NE winds, highs 20
- Monday.. Sunny, light NE winds, highs 23
- Tuesday.. Sunny with some high cloudiness, light south winds, highs 23
- Wednesday.. Cloudy, late day showers, light SE winds, highs 24