Friday, August 17th 6:30am.. A large area of high pressure is current;y located up and down the eastern seaboard stretching from Newfoundland to Florida. This feature will give some sunshine and light winds to the island today but clouds will begin to rill in later in the day as an area of low pressure currently located over Lake Huron intensifies and moves east. This system is expected to bring rain at times heavy to all the Maritimes on Saturday as it tracks across central Maine and then southern NS. The low pressure system should move east of Cape Breton late Saturday allowing another area of high pressure to build in from the west for Sunday. Things then become complicated… The Canadian forecast model is developing a small ocean low pressure system off the eastern seaboard Saturday night then moving this system out onto the Atlantic. this system then tracks northward into NS Tuesday morning then across Cape Breton into the Gulf Tuesday evening with cloud and rain associated. The American model is much weaker ind keeps this system well to the south of NS without any impact. So confidence is low on Tuesday. Another stronger low pressure system is expected to come out of the Great Lakes on Wednesday spreading more rain across the region Wednesday night. This system pushes east on Thursday with clearing skies. Cool high pressure then dominates Friday through the weekend but afternoon pop up clouds and showers possible.
Precipitation.. Rain should begin about mid morning tomorrow becoming heavy at times ending towards early evening giving rainfall amounts in the 20-40+ mm range. The lower amounts should be up west which will be further from the storm track across southern NS, while the higher amounts across eastern Queens into Kings counties. Sunday and Monday looking dry then showers possible on Tuesday with that ocean system followed by a better chance of showers Wednesday into Thursday morning. Friday Saturday Sunday looking dry but could be a few localized afternoon pop-up showers.
Temperatures.. Near normal conditions expected this period except for Saturday when clouds and brisk northerly winds will keep things on the cool side especially along the north shore.
Wind.. Light northerly winds today becoming calm late this afternoon then southerly tonight. Winds then shift to the E-NE tomorrow afternoon increasing to brisk Saturday night into Sunday. Very light SE winds on Monday and Tuesday.
Thunderstorms.. Can’t rule out some thunder on Saturday.
Hazards.. Rain at times heavy will give hazardous driving conditions on Saturday. Localized street/town/ditch flooding possible on Saturday.
Watches/warnings.. Special weather statement in effect for PEI regarding potential rain event for Saturday.
Gold Cup and Saucer Race Saturday night.. The rain should be winding down by early evening but track should still be quite wet. Water may still be laying on track and infield. Light-brisk NE winds with evening temperatures near 16.
Oak Island trip.. Rain should begin in southern NS tomorrow morning ending near midnight. The area of heaviest rains should stay north between Halifax and PEI/Cape Breton. Sunday looks cloudy with chance of showers. Light-brisk southerly winds on Saturday shifting to NE winds for Sunday. Afternoon temps near 23 both days..
Forecast for PEI..
- Today.. Sun and cloud, light north winds diminishing to calm, highs 22
- Tonight.. Increasing clouds after midnight, light south winds, lows 16
- Tomorrow.. Rain at times heavy beginning near mid morning giving 20-40+mms, light-brisk NE winds, highs (steady) 16
- Tomorrow night.. Rain tapers to few showers by early evening, brisk NE winds, lows (steady) 16
- Sunday.. Morning cloud and chance of showers, clearing, diminishing NE winds, highs 22
- Monday.. Sunny, light SE winds, highs 23
- Tuesday.. Cloudy with chance of showers late, Light SE winds, highs 23
- Wednesday.. Cloudy with rain developing later in the day, light-brisk south winds, highs 26
- Thursday.. Showers ending then clearing, winds shifting to northerly, highs 23
- Friday.. Sun and cloud, light NE winds, highs 23
- Saturday.. Sun and cloud, light west winds, highs 25