Saturday, August 18th 8:45am.. An intensifying low pressure system currently located in southern Maine will continue to move ENE tracking along the spine of NS late this afternoon/ear;y this evening then east of Cape Breton near midnight tonight. This system will bring heavy rain and brisk NE winds. High pressure will then build in form the NW tomorrow and dominates the region through Tuesday with sunny dry seasonal conditions. Clouds will begin to roll in on Wednesday ahead of cold front approaching from the west with some showers by evening. High pressure then returns later Thursday and once again dominates through the weekend.
Precipitation.. Rain has spread across the island this morning and will continue all day ending from west to east beginning mid evening up west, mid-late evening across central and just after midnight down east. The various The heaviest rains will be in a swath stretching from central NW, across northern NS towards Cape Breton. This area will include eastern half of PEI with 40- 60 mms possible. Could be locally higher amounts across the southeast corner of PEI near Murray River/Harbor. Northern PEI (Tignish region) will be furthest from the track of the low, so lower amounts expected there. Dry for tomorrow through Tuesday. Chance of showers Wednesday evening through Thursday morning then dry again later Thursday through the weekend.
Temperatures.. Cool today due cloud cover, rain and brisk NE winds then normal to slightly above normal for the remainder of the period.
Wind.. Increasing NE winds today peaking near midnight tonight with gusts to 60-70 then diminishing tomorrow. Very light and variable winds Monday and Tuesday under strong high pressure. Increasing southerlies on Wednesday further increasing to brisk SW on Thursday followed by a shift to the NW with the cold frontal passage.
Thunderstorms.. Chance of storms today and this evening.
Hazards.. Wet driving conditions in rain today. Localized street/city/ditch/field flooding today especially down east due heavy rain.
Watches/warnings.. Rainfall warnings remain in effect for all of PEI today.
Gold Cup and Saucer race… Not looking too good. The rain will be winding down towards midnight but still could be left over showers. Water saturated track after 40-60mms. Drainage would help the track and infield as there will most likely be water ponding. Temperatures will be near 18 with a brisk NE wind.
- Today.. Rain at time heavy, chance of thunder, increasing NE winds, highs 18
- Tonight.. Rain at times heavy ending this evening, brisk NE winds, temps steady near 18
- Tomorrow.. Cloudy morning… Clearing, diminishing NE winds, highs 21
- Monday.. Sunny, very light NE winds, highs 23
- Tuesday.. Sunny, light SE winds, highs 22
- Wednesday.. Becoming cloudy with showers late, light SE winds, highs 24
- Thursday.. Showers early then clearing, brisk SW winds shifting to NW, highs 26
- Friday.. Sunny, light west winds, highs 24
- Saturday.. Sunny, light south winds, highs 22
- Sunday.. Sunny, light south wind,s highs 26