Tuesday, August 21st 9:00am.. High pressure continues to dominate the region with sunshine and light winds today. An area of low pressure located just south of the Great Lakes will move NE towards northern Quebec but it’s associated cold front will move eastward sweeping across the island near dawn on Thursday morning. Cloud showers and possible thundershowers will accompany this feature. High pressure then returns and dominates the Maritmes with sunshine, light winds, and seasonal temperatures Friday through Sunday. Shaping up to be a fantastic weekend. Clouds and few showers return on Monday and Tuesday as a frontal system approaches but models differ right now on timing. Smoke from the forest fires in western Canada continues to linger high in the atmosphere across PEI giving the sky a hazy look especially near sunrise/sunset.
Precipitation.. Dry today and most of tomorrow. Showers spread across the island tomorrow night but should end near noon on Thursday with only few mms expected. Dry Friday through Sunday. Few showers on Monday and possibly Tuesday.
Temperatures.. At or above normal for this period. One-day Cool down on Tuesday
Wind.. Very Light easterly today shifting and increasing to light southerly tomorrow further increasing to brisk southerly towards midnight tomorrow night. Winds then shifting to westerly after sunrise Thursday morning with the passage of the cold front. An extended period of light SW winds then expected Friday through Monday.
Thunderstorms.. Next chance appears to be Wednesday night into Thursday morning.
Hazards.. Quiet today.
Watches/warnings.. None for PEI at this time..
- Today.. Sunny, very light east winds, highs 24
- Tonight.. Clear, fog patches developing after sunset calm winds, lows 17
- Tomorrow.. Sunny start becoming cloud later in the afternoon, light South winds, highs 25
- Tomorrow night.. Cloudy with showers, brisk South winds, lows 20
- Thursday.. Morning showers ending near noon but remaining cloudy, light-brisk west winds, highs 23
- Friday.. Sunny, light SW winds, highs 25
- Saturday.. Sunny, light SW winds, highs 27
- Sunday.. Sunny, light SW winds, highs 25
- Monday.. Cloudy with chance of showers, light SW winds, highs 25
- Tuesday.. Cloudy with chance of showers, light NW winds, highs 18