Tuesday, October 9th 6:50am… A warm front approaching from the SW has brought some showers activity to the island. This front will move just to the north of the region today then begin to move south again tomorrow as a cold front maintaining clod and showers across the island. The front will actually stall in an east-west fashion across NS Wednesday night. Strong low pressure win the Great Lakes allow that front to once again move north across the island Thursday night into Friday morning. The front will tap tropical moisture streaming northward from the remnants of Hurricane Micheal setting the stage for a possible heavy rain event Thursday night. The front slips south again Friday morning keeping Micheal south of NS. A large area of high pressure located over the Great Lakes will then dominate as it slowly drifts eastward and is expected to crest over the island Monday afternoon. This system will bring in the coolest air of the season so far a with a possibility of some flurries/snow pellets/ice pellets on Saturday and Sunday. Conditions will also be ripe for the development of waterspouts or cold core funnel clouds over the weekend as well. Rain spreads across the island on Tuesday.
Precipitation.. Showers today through Thursday afternoon becoming periods of rain at times heavy Thursday evening ending before dawn on Friday morning. Rainfall here could be significant with 30 mms possible. Showers redevelop on the weekend with chance of flurries/snow pellets/ice pellets.
Temperatures.. Will be generally below normal with the exception of today and Friday wen that front wiggles north of the island. The front is the dividing line between the cold air to the north and the warm air to the south.
Wind.. Will be shifting back and forth from southerly south of the front to northerly north of it. So it will all depend on where the front lies as to the wind direction. Winds finally shift to NW on Friday afternoon when the front finally moves through.
Hazards.. Wet driving conditions in any rain. Heavy rain possible Thursday afternoon/evening.
Watches/warnings.. None for PEI at this time..
- Today.. Cloudy with showers, brisk SW winds, highs 16
- Tonight.. Showers, Winds shifting to northerly before dawn, temps steady near 15 then falling with the wind shift to 11 by dawn.
- Tomorrow.. Cloudy with a few showers, light-brisk north winds, temps slowly falling from 11 to start to 8 by suppertime.
- Thursday.. Showers to start becoming periods of rain at times heavy by afternoon. brisk east winds, highs 7
- Friday.. Showers, brisk SE winds shifting to NW towards evening, highs 16 then falling with the wind shift.
- Saturday.. Cloudy periods, chance of showers/flurries/snow pellets/ice pellets, light-brisk NW winds, highs 8
- Sunday.. Cloudy periods, slight chance of showers/flurries/snow pellets/ice pellets, light-brisk west winds, highs 7
- Monday.. Sunny, 8
- Tuesday.. Rain 16