Friday, November 16th 6:30am.. A NW-SE ridge of high pressure is currently crossing the island and will drift east over the next few hours. A developing low pressure system located near New York City now will continue to intensify as it tracks NE and is expected to pass along the coast of NS to be located over Cape Breton Island near midnight tonight. Snow from this system has already pushed into southern NB and NS and is expected to start across PEI mid morning (10 am-ish). The snow should change over to rain as warmer air gets wrapped around the system latter this evening. Conditions improve on Saturday as this system pulls away towards Newfoundland but onshore NW winds should maintain cloud and flurrie activity across the island especially down east. High pressure crests over the island Sunday night. A weak area of low pressure moves though MOnday evening/overnight with periods of rain or snow. Another developing area of low pressure moves across the Maritimes Tuesday night with more rain or snow. Looks like we finally get a break from the endless storms with high pressure in control from Wednesday through the weekend.
Precipitation.. Snow before noon today changing to rain near midnight then ending near dawn. Snowfall amounts will be highest up west with 20+ cms possible. Lower amounts moving east dropping to 15 across Charlottetown to 5-10 eastern Kings. Rainfall amounts of 10 mms down east lowering to 5 across Charlottetown and 1-2 mms up west. Light rain and/or snow on MOnday night then a possible strong system Tuesday night with more rain and/or snow.
Temperatures.. Running below normal for the next week or so. Looks like a return to normal next weekend.
Wind.. Increasing SE winds today gradually backing to North tonight then NW-W tomorrow. Light NW winds on Sunday dropping off to calm Sunday night.
Hazards.. Hazardous driving condition sin accumulating snow beginning this morning. Brisk winds will give some blowing and drifting snow.
Watches/warnings.. Snowfall warning in effect for all of PEI..
- Today.. Snow beginning before noon, brisk East winds giving drifting and local blowing snow, highs +1 by midnight.
- Tonight.. Snow changing to rain especially across central/eastern PEI near midnight ending near dawn, brisk north winds, steady near +1
- Tomorrow.. Sun and cloud, chance of flurries down east, brisk west winds, highs +1
- Sunday.. Sun and cloud, chance of flurries, Light-brisk NW winds dropping off to calm by evening, highs -4
- Monday.. Sunny start becoming cloudy with rain/snow towards evening, light south winds, highs 0
- Tuesday.. Sun and cloud, snow/rain late, highs +3 by midnight
- Wednesday.. Snow ending, brisk-strong NW winds, highs -3
- Thursday.. Sun and cloud, flurries, NW winds, highs -4
- Friday.. Sun and cloud, flurries, NW winds, highs -4