Saturday, December 8th 7:30am.. A weak but intensifying area of low pressure is located just east of Cape Breton this morning and will move eastward along southern Newfoundland today. Some light snow accompanied this system especially for eastern PEI which was closer t the system. Light-brisk NW winds will continue across PEI today in the wake of this system which will result in some onshore cloud and flurries especially down east. A weak ridge of high pressure will move across the region late Sunday which should shift the winds to the SW ending the flurrie activity for now. Another weak area of low pressure will move across the Maritimes overnight Sunday into Monday morning with some cloud and light snow. A large area of high pressure will then begin to approach on Tuesday finally passing south of NS on Friday. This will set the stage for a few days of light-brisk NW winds and where these winds blow onshore, clouds and flurries will prevail. Clouds will be on the increase late Friday as a large area of low pressure approaches from the west with rain developing by dawn Saturday. At this point, it looks like a significant warm-up leading into next weekend with rain and snow melt. So a cold but generally sunny week of weather ahead followed by a mild but rainy weekend.
Precipitation.. Flurries today and tonight. Dry tomorrow. Flurries or light snow late tomorrow night into Monday morning could give 2-4 cms. Onshore cloud and flurries then persist for the remainder of Monday through Thursday morning. Dry Thursday afternoon through Friday night. Rain by Saturday morning.
Temperatures.. Below normal today through Thursday. Back to normal for Friday then above normal for the weekend.
Wind.. Basically a light-brisk flow today through Thursday shifting to the SW on Friday then southerly on Saturday.
Hazards.. Some light snow or flurrie activity expected today through Thursday morning. Accumulations will just be light but brisk winds will result in some light drifting snow in the rural areas giving changing road conditions. This activity will be most significant down east where the flurrie activity will be more persistent.
Watches/warnings.. None for PEI at this time.
- Today.. Cloudy, few flurries, light-brisk NW winds, temps steady near -7
- Tonight.. Cloudy periods, few flurries, light-brisk NW winds, lows -11
- Tomorrow.. Sun and cloud, few flurries down east. Light snow developing late overnight, light-brisk NW winds shifting to SW, highs -8
- Monday.. Sun and cloud, chance of flurries, light-brisk W-NW winds, highs -8
- Tuesday.. Sun and cloud, chance of flurries, light-brisk W-NW winds, highs -7
- Wednesday.. Sun and cloud, chance of flurries, light-brisk W-NW winds, highs -4
- Thursday.. Sun and cloud, chance of flurries, light-brisk W-NW winds, highs -5
- Friday.. Sunny start, increasing clouds, light SW winds, highs 0
- Saturday.. Rain, brisk South winds, highs +10
- Sunday.. Showers, light winds, highs +5