Monday, January 7th 6:30am… An area of high pressure centered over western Quebec is moving slowly eastward and is expected to crest over the island tomorrow morning. Brisk NW winds ahead of this feature will diminish later today. Clouds will begin to invade the region later tomorrow ahead of the weather system approaching from the west. This system will redevelop near Cape Cod near dawn Wednesday morning and begin to move slowly NE towards the Maritimes to be located over Cape Breton Island Thursday afternoon. This system will bring a wintery mix of rain and snow to the island. Colder air invades the region on Friday as this system departs over Newfoundland in fact the coldest air of the season is expected over the Maritimes by Saturday.
Precipitation.. Few flurries this morning down east otherwise dry through Tuesday evening. Snow begins near midnight Tuesday night changing to rain near noon on Wednesday then bask to snow Thursday morning. Flurries on Friday. Dry through the weekend.
Temperatures… Cold today and tomorrow. Warm-up late tomorrow becoming above normal for Wednesday. Cool down Thursday afternoon becoming very cold for Friday through Sunday.
Wind.. Brisk NW winds today diminishing to calm overnight into tomorrow morning then becoming light SE tomorrow afternoon increasing to brisk near noon on Wednesday. Light-brisk NW winds on Thursday then westerlies for Friday through Sunday.
Hazards.. Flurries today combined with brisk NW winds will give blowing and drifting snow especially in rural areas. Cold wind chill values today as well.
Watches/warnings… None for PEI at this time.
- Today.. Cloudy with flurries east, sunny west, brisk NW winds, giving blowing and drifting snow, temps steady near -9
- Tonight.. Clear, light NW- Calm winds, lows -15
- Tomorrow.. Sunny start becoming cloudy with developing by midnight, calm winds to start becoming light SE, Highs -8
- Wednesday.. Snow changing to rain early, brisk SE winds, highs +1
- Thursday.. Rain changing to snow, brisk NW winds, temps near 0 falling to -8 by mid evening.
- Friday.. Mostly sunny, light west winds, highs -10
- Saturday.. Mostly sunny, light west winds, highs -15
- Sunday.. Mostly sunny, light west winds, highs -15