Thursday, January 10th 6:40am.. A low pressure system moved slowly NE along the Fundy coast of NB over night and is now located over western Prince county, PEI. This system brought significant snowfall to the island yesterday then a change over to rain as temps climbed above zero. The low pressure system will now continue to move slowly northward today to be located over Labrador Saturday morning. Cold high pressure then dominates the region Saturday through Friday of next week although a frontal system may bring a brief warm-up and flurries on Wednesday.
Precipitation.. Don’t have any snowfall numbers yet for PEI but I recorded 25 cms snow in the Emyvale area. The bulk of the rain and snow is over now. Expect a few showers early changing over to flurries this afternoon as temps slowly fall. Few flurries continue tonight into tomorrow then basically dry through Friday of next week although a frontal system could bring another round of flurries on Wednesday.. Basically a week of cold quiet weather.
Temperatures… Tempos steady near 0 today then a slow cool down this evening followed by a more pronounced cool down tomorrow. An extended period of well below normal begins on Saturday with maybe a one-day warm-up on Wednesday.
Wind.. Brisk southerlies now will slowly shift to the SW by tomorrow then continue into Saturday. Light westerlies on Sunday dropping off to very light on Monday. Light-brisk NW on Tuesday.
Hazards.. Wet surfaces and slush will begin to refreeze later today and remain frozen all next week without any warm-up though at least next weekend. Finish any snow removal today.
Watches/warnings.. None for PEI at this time.
- Today.. Cloudy with showers and or flurries, brisk south winds, temps steady near 0 then falling t -2 by early evening.
- Tonight.. Cloudy flurries, light brisk S-SW winds, lows -5 by dawn.
- Tomorrow.. Sun and cloud, morning flurries, light-brisk SW winds, temps steady near -5 then falling through the evening hours.
- Saturday.. Sun and cloud, light-brisk SW winds, highs -14
- Sunday.. Sunny light SW-W winds, highs -14
- Monday.. Sunny, very light west winds, highs -10
- Tuesday.. Sun and cloud, light-brisk NW winds, highs -10
- Wednesday.. Flurries, brisk south winds, highs 0
- Thursday.. Sun and cloud, light-brisk NW winds, highs -15
- Friday.. Sunny, light west winds, highs -15