Saturday, January 12th 7:45am.. A trough of low pressure oriented NE-SW is currently eastward across western NB/New England now and is expected to move across PEI this afternoon. Some clouds and few flurries will accompany this feature. Cold High pressure will then approach from west and remain over the Maritimes until late Tuesday with sunshine and light winds but arctic like temperatures. An Alberta Clipper system will move across the northern Gulf late Wednesday/early Thursday with a cold front extending to the south. This cold front will sweep across the island on Wednesday night with a band of cloud and flurries along with a reinforcing shot of cold arctic air. Cold high pressure then builds over the Maritimes for Thursday and Friday. Looks like some weather for the weekend with a frontal system draped across the region and an intensifying low pressure system moving NE along this frontal boundary. Way too early for any detailed impacts but looks like a messy weekend.
Precipitation.. Flurries expected later today through this evening and overnight giving a dusting to 1 or 2 cms. Dry tomorrow through Wednesday. Periods of light snow or flurries Wednesday evening through Thursday morning then dry for remainder of Thursday into Friday. Messy weekend with rain and or snow..
Temperatures.. Very cold today through Monday. Warming up on Tuesday back closer to normal.Slightly above normal on Wednesday. Cold arctic air returns with a vengeance behind the cold front Wednesday night resulting in a cold Thursday and Friday. Mild weekend but will it be mild enough for rain?
Wind.. Light-brisk SW winds today becoming westerly tomorrow the very light SW on Monday.
Hazards.. Cold wind chill values today for those outside but will moderate tomorrow with lighter winds. Drifting snow in the rural areas will continue to make changing road conditions.
Watches/warnings. None for PEI at this time.
- Today.. Sunny start becoming cloudy with flurries developing, light-brisk SW winds giving drifting snow in rural areas, cold with highs -12 and wind chill values near -25
- Tonight.. Clearing after midnight, Light-brisk west winds, temps steady near -13
- Tomorrow.. Sunny, light west winds, highs -12
- Monday.. Sunny, very light SW winds, highs -10
- Tuesday.. Sunny, light north winds, highs -4 by evening.
- Wednesday.. Sunny start becoming cloudy with flurries late, brisk south winds developing, temps rising -8 to 0 by midnight
- Thursday.. Flurries to start becoming sunny, brisk W-NW winds, temps falling to -13 by breakfast then steady.
- Friday.. Increasing clouds, increasing south winds, highs -10
- Saturday.. Rain and/or snow.. 0
- Sunday.. Rain and/or snow.. 0