Tuesday, January 15th 9:00am.. A weakening ridge of high pressure oriented NE-SW is currently over the Maritimes and will give sunshine to the island today. A cold front will approach from the NW later today with increasing clouds and chance of a s flurrie especially overnight tonight. Cold high pressure returns tomorrow cresting over the island tomorrow night. Things then start to get interesting as well get into a stormy pattern. Clouds will be on the increase on Friday morning as low pressure approaches from the SW with snow developing by mid evening. The low pressure crosses the region by dawn on Saturday then pulls away by noon with clearing skies and colder temps. High pressure briefly builds in for Saturday evening/overnight then system number 2 approaches. This system is expected to move across the Maritimes Sunday night into Monday morning with a winter mix of rain and snow. Cold high pressure returns for Tuesday and Wednesday.
Precipitation.. Few flurries later today and overnight. Snow begins Friday evening with a slight chance of a change over to rain overnight then back to snow before ending near dawn on Saturday morning. Could be 5-8 cms snow with this system. Storm #2 is much more impressive and could dump significant amounts of snow and/or rain across the Maritimes. There is also a significant risk of freezing rain. Still to early for details so will continue to monitor this but be prepared for a stormy weekend..
Temperatures.. Roller coaster ride in the temperature department as several weatehr systems will cross the region over the next week.
Wind.. Winds will also be all around the compass as these several weather systems move through.
Hazards.. Quickly falling temps near dawn on Thursday morning. snow on Friday evening then a significant event on Sunday afternoon into Monday night.
Watches/warnings… None for PEI at this time..
- Today.. Sunny, light-brisk NW winds, highs -4
- Tonight.. Few clouds, calm winds, lows -17
- Tomorrow.. Sunny, becoming cloudy with chance of few flurries, light-brisk south winds, highs 0 by late evening.
- Thursday.. Sunny, light-brisk west winds, falling temps -15 by afternoon.
- Friday.. Sunny start becoming cloudy with snow developing by suppertime possibly changing to rain towards midnight, brisk SE winds, highs 0 by late evening,
- Saturday.. Sunny, light-brisk NW winds, falling temps
- Sunday.. Snow and/or Rain, brisk SE winds, highs 0
- Monday.. Snow ending, brisk W-NW winds, falling temps
- Tuesday.. Sunny, brisk NW winds, highs -18