Wednesday, January 30th 7:00am.. A low pressure system located near Cape Cod this morning will move northeastward through Maine/NB today to be located near Gaspe Penn early this evening. Snow from this system will begin over the next couple hours but change to rain near suppertime as warmer air gets involved. The associated cold front then sweeps across the island about mid evening with a return to colder temps and flurries. Secondary low pressure will also develop along the frontal boundary in southern Maine this evening as well which will move NE to be located in the Bay of Fundy overnight tonight then over eastern PEI by dawn tomorrow. This weak system will bring another band of cloud and light snow to the island. Cold high pressure then in control later tomorrow through late Sunday with mostly sunny skies and cold NW winds. A couple pieces of upper air energy may sweep through giving some cloudy periods but basically cold dry weather tomorrow through Sunday. Clouds will be in the increase late Sunday as a warm front approaches from the west with snow beginning on Monday,. This snow will change to rain later Monday as the warm front lifts north of the island and warmer air takes over.
Precipitation.. Snow begins now giving 5-8 cms before changing to rain late this afternoon then ends by mid evening. Snow redevelops after midnight tonight ending near dawn tomorrow giving another 1-2 cms. Basically dry from tomorrow through Monday morning. Snow begins Monday afternoon changing to rain Monday evening. Periods of rain for Tuesday and Wednesday.
Temperatures..Turning mild for a few hours late this afternoon-early evening. Cold air returns tonight and stays cold through Sunday night. Warm-up for Monday through Wednesday of next week.
Wind.. Increasing SE winds today peaking near suppertime shifting to SW early this evening then westerly mid evening. Light-brisk west winds for Thursday through Sunday. Southerlies for Monday and Tuesday.
Hazards.. 5-8 cms snow today.. Wet/Slushie surfaces freeze this evening as colder air returns. Southerly winds may give bridge restrictions late this afternoon.
Watches/warnings.. None for PEI at this time.
- Today.. Snow (5-8 cms) changing to rain late this afternoon, brisk SE winds, temps rising to +2 by suppertime.
- Tonight.. Rain ending mid evening then snow developing after midnight, light-brisk west winds, Temps steady near +2 til mid evening then falling to -12 by dawn.
- Tomorrow.. Snow early then clearing, light-brisk west winds, highs -11
- Friday.. Sunny, light-brisk west winds, highs -11
- Saturday.. Sunny, light-brisk west winds, highs -11
- Sunday.. Increasing clouds, light NW winds, highs -13
- Monday.. Snow changing to rain late, brisk south winds, highs 0 by late evening.
- Tuesday.. Showers, +7