Sunday, September 16th 8:55am.. Clouds invaded the island this morning ahead of a cold front which is now moving across Prince county. This NE-SW oriented front will sweep across the remainder of the island this morning with a few showers. The front moves SE this afternoon then moves back north again tonight as a warm front. The frontal system will then stall out in a north-west fashion just north of the island for tomorrow resulting in a mainly cloudy day with a threat of a few showers especially northern Prince county. The remnants of Tropical system Florence will then begin to approach the region from the SW on Tuesday. Right now, the models are keeping this system south of PEI as it moves eastward into the Atlantic passing across Cape Cod Wednesday morning then south Wednesday afternoon. The best chance to see any rain from the system will be across southwestern NS. That doesn’t mean PEI will escape the rain. A cold front will also be approaching from the NW and is expected to sweep across the island around noon time on Tuesday. This frontal passage will be accompanied by cloud and showers bit more importantly, this front will bring a pattern change from the warm summer like weather of late to more fall like weather beginning Wednesday. Cool High pressure will then continue into Thursday but the unstable air will result in afternoon clouds with a chance of showers. These conditions will also favor development of cold-core funnel clouds or offshore waterspouts. The next weather system approaches on Thursday night with increasing clouds with rain developing Friday morning and ending Saturday morning as the associated cold front sweeps through.High pressure returns later Saturday into Sunday.
Precipitation.. A weak band of showers is currently moving across the island associated with the cold front. Chance of showers again tomorrow evening then on Tuesday. Basically Dry for Wednesday and Thursday but can’t rule out an isolated hit/miss afternoon sun-shower. Rain on Friday. Dry for Saturday, showers return Sunday night.
Temperatures.. Above normal today through Tuesday. A period of Below normal begins on Wednesday.
Wind.. Light west winds now will be shifting to NW with the passage of the cold front this morning. Winds dropping off to calm tonight then light-brisk SW winds develop tomorrow and continue into Tuesday morning. Winds will shift t the North near noon on Tuesday and become easterly for Wednesday and Thursday.
Hazards.. Other than a few showers this morning, fairly quiet.
Watches/warnings.. None for PEI at this time.
- Today.. Cloudy with chance of showers this morning then clearing, Winds becoming light NW, highs 20
- Tonight.. Clear, fog patches developing after sunset, wind calm, lows 10
- Tomorrow.. Sun and cloud, chance of a showers towards evening, light SW winds, highs 25
- Tuesday.. Rain, SW > North winds, highs 20 which occur in the morning then afternoon temperature drop with the wind shift to the north,
- Wednesday.. Sun and cloud, chance of a shower, light east winds, highs 14
- Thursday.. Sun and cloud, chance of a shower, light east winds, highs 16
- Friday.. Rain, brisk south winds, highs 16
- Saturday.. Clearing, NW winds, highs 15
- Sunday.. Sunny, rain late.. 19